Monday, October 6, 2008

OMG



Also known as Oh My God! Which was what Mrs. Bikesafer said when she saw me in the lead for the first time during the 40+ Cat 4 race at Lapham Peak. Believe me, no one was more surprised than me that I was there. I kind of enjoyed the view out front, but I knew then and really know now that I stayed there too long. It was just 2 or 3 of us for about 2 or 3 laps, with a gap ranging from 100 feet to a couple hundred yards on the next guys, at least when I was looking back.


After coming through and being told 2 more laps, the guy following me went into the weeds at the next corner, so I pegged it thinking I could get a nice gap. Well by the next corner at the end of the long straight, he was right back on so I dialed it back, knowing that even at that pace I had little chance of winning if I just pulled for 2 laps. But I'm relatively new to this whole cross thing so I rode as fast as I could without blowing up and came home with a 3rd. I can live with that, especially since I did it all on a 20 year old touring bike. I can't wait for the next cross race, even though I don't hold out a lot of hope of repeating my performance next time, but hey it was cool to hear Mrs. Bikesafer so happy, maybe I can do it again.

No comments: