Saturday, May 2, 2015

38 Lawbreakers




In the span of just under a minute we waited for 38 lawbreakers.  I say we, meaning my wife and I trying to cross one half of 108th St., and the jogger waiting to cross the other side. Granted they didn't commit any misdemeanors or felonies, but they disregarded a law meant to insure the safety of pedestrians.  They did so seemingly without a second thought. Perhaps they don't understand the law. I'll put it in simple terms, when someone is waiting to cross at ANY crosswalk especially a marked pedestrian crossing, you must stop if you are able.


I've called the police department who has jurisdiction over this crossing and asked them for extra enforcement, even offering to pay for overtime if necessary.  I was told by the officer, he would talk to his superior officer and someone would get back to me.  That was weeks ago.  No one has ever called me back and the problem continues.   

3 comments:

Greg Prosmushkin said...

I agree with you! People should be more concerned for the safety of others. Hopefully the police department will get back to you.
Greg

Michael said...

I believe your reading of that ordinance is flawed. It says nothing about having to stop for someone waiting to cross at a cross walk. It says you have to yield the right-of-way to someone "who is crossing". You would have to be in the process of crossing before they must yield the right-of-way to you.

Jeff said...

Michael,
You are technically correct, in that the statute says nothing about "stopping", but it clearly states that vehicles, "shall yield the right-of-way" to pedestrians and bicyclists... within the crosswalk. The crosswalk definition is a little wordy and convoluted sounding but the pedestrian doesn't have to actually be in the "roadway" portion of the crosswalk to be covered under the statute. The crosswalk extends further than just the portion on the roadway.